Peak Performance Estrogen Detox:
Calcium D-Glucarate: To promote estrogen detoxification and removal
- If there were to be a back-bone to our Estrogen Detox formula, Calcium D-Glucarate would be the vertebrae in that back-bone. Calcium D-Glucarate works by inhibiting a process in the body while allows estrogen to circulate in the body. By inhibiting this process, the colon is able to eliminate estrogen from the body. In fact, Calcium D-Glucarate is so effective at promoting the detoxification of estrogen, that one clinical study noted a 23% reduction in total body estrogen levels after usage.*
- Calcium D-Glucarate is a natural substance that is found in apples, oranges, broccoli, spinach, and Brussels sprouts. To detox toxic estrogens your liver joins Calcium D-Glucarate to glucuronic acid. Calcium D-Glucarate can inhibit an enzyme produced by gut bacteria called beta-glucuronidase that can break this bond and allow the estrogen to be recirculated from the bowel. By strongly blocking this enzyme, Calcium D-Glucarate promotes the effective elimination of estrogen from the colon.*
- While Calcium D-Glucarate is a naturally occurring compound, is it not present in adequate quantities to remove stored estrogen.* 790 mgs (the amount found in three capsules of Peak Performance Estrogen Detox) of Calcium D-Glucarate is equivalent to the phytonutrient activity found in over 150 pounds of fresh fruit and vegetables. Calcium D-Glucarate is considered to have no side effects and has been compared in effect to the drug Tamoxifen.*
Chrysin: To protect estrogen receptors from re-uptake of stored and released estrogen hormones.
- Chrysin (5,7-dihydroxy flavone) is an extract from the passion flower (Passiflora coerulea) plant, and contains anti-aromatase and antioxidant flavors.* Chrysin is the primary active ingredient in passion flower, a traditionally used plant medicine for enhancing potency and virility and increasing libido in both men and women. Current scientific research shows a potent affinity for the ability of chrysin to metabolize estrogen and otherwise help detoxify estrogen from the body.*
- We have included chrysin in our Estrogen Detox formula for its anti-aromatase effects in the body. As an aromatase inhibitor (similar to nettle root extract and apigenin) chrysin acts upon three pathways to help protect the body from estrogen: Firstly, for men, it protects to conversion of testosterone to estrogen; secondly and thirdly, for women and men, aromatase inhibitors down-regulate the production of estrogen and also blocks estrogen receptors from binding with estrogen, allowing estrogen to be detoxified from the body.*
- When estrogen is released, chrysin may help protect the body from simply “re-absorbing” the estrogen.* In this way, chrysin is important in aiding the removal of estrogen from the body once estrogen has been released from storage by the effects of the other ingredients in Peak Performance Estrogen Detox.*
- Chrysin aids the body in vaso-diolation; which may help promote erections in men by assisting the nitric oxide and cGMP pathway, promoting the release of endothelium-derived hyperpolarizing factor.* This same action may aid female arousal as well.*
- In animal studies, chrysin has demonstrated a remarkable effect on male sexuality: After 30 days of administration of chrysin, the animals had increased sperm count, greater fertilization potential, and greater litter size.* While the effect was due to the administration of chrysin, the cause of the change is not known.
- Chrysin has also shown the important ability to block the inflammatory COX-2 enzyme, similar to the action of red wine and the trans-resveratrol which it contains. apigenin, one of the ingredients in Estrogen Detox, works alongside trans-resveratrol to help protect the body from cancer.*
DIM (3,3′-Diindolylmethane): To promotes estrogen detoxification and removal.
- DIM (Diindolylmethane) is a naturally occurring compound that is found in cruciferous vegetables, but in inadequate quantities as to be useful for removing stored estrogen.* DIM is well known for its beneficial effects on shifting estrogen metabolism away from the harmful 16 hydroxy estrogens metabolites.* Additionally, DIM has been shown to be protective against certain cancer, and high levels of estrogen are linked with breast and reproductive cancers in men and women.*
- DIM (Diindolylmethane) or DIM is a plant phyto-chemical found in all cruciferous vegetables, including cabbage, broccoli, Brussels sprouts, and cauliflower. However, it would take eating over 10 pounds of broccoli to achieve the same 100mg of DIM found in one serving of Peak Performance Estrogen Detox. Cruciferous vegetables have been cultivated for centuries for use as food and they have a long legacy as being medicinal.
- DIM was discovered to have anti-cancer effects two decades ago when animal studies proved a correlation between consumption of DIM and the prevention of cancer.* Today, it is understood that DIM specifically aids in the protection of cancer by promoting the detoxification of harmful estrogen compounds, balancing the testosterone to estrogen ratio and favoring the healthy form of estrogen found in both men and women.*
- DIM promotes estrogen detoxification by stimulating efficient estrogen metabolism in the body.* Consumption of DIM increases the specific aerobic metabolism of estrogen, assisting estrogen in being metabolized into beneficial estrogen metabolites.* The beneficial estrogen metabolites are the 2-hydroxy estrogen group.
- Estrogen is an important hormone found in both men and women, but it is only these beneficial 2-hydroxy estrogens which are considered beneficial.* The effects 2-hydroxy estrogen includes protecting the heart and brain and possibly working with testosterone to increase bone mass. DIM favors beneficial estrogen compounds while removing harmful estrogen compounds—in this way DIM helps to safely and effectively remove harmful estrogen from the body.*
- While DIM works to establish healthy levels of beneficial estrogen compounds, DIM simultaneously works to actively detoxify harmful forms of estrogen.* In this way, DIM is of utmost importance in Peak Performance Estrogen Detox.* DIM promotes the detoxification of the group of 16-hydroxy estrogens. 16-hydroxy estrogens have been implicated in estrogen dependent cancers and are not anti-oxidants (like the 2-hydroxy estrogens).*
- The production and accumulation of harmful estrogen metabolites is promoted by obesity and exposure to a number of manmade environmental chemicals (xeno-estrogen), including BPA.* The harmful estrogen metabolites have been associated with many of estrogen’s undesirable actions in women and men, including further unwanted weight gain, breast cancer, and uterine cancer.* Furthermore, by actively detoxifying estrogen DIM and the other ingredients in Peak Performance Estrogen Detox helps lower the amount of estradiol in the body.* Estradiol may cause moodiness and breast pain in women and loss of sex drive in men.* For men, the decrease in estradiol can lead to a subsequent increase in the ratio of testosterone to estradiol.
- Furthermore, for men, DIM helps to eliminate active estrogen from the male body by promoting its conversion into the healthy estrogen metabolites—those normally found in the body, promoting health and vital to male sexuality.* The healthy estrogen metabolites release testosterone from sex hormone binding globulin (SHBG) by bumping it off the testosterone-binding proteins, resulting in a favorable ratio of testosterone to estrogen and more free testosterone circulating in the body.*
- In scientific studies, high levels of testosterone and low levels of estrogen have been linked to lean body mass, efficient fat-burning metabolism, and low abdominal obesity.* Other benefits from testosterone are improved mood, more interest in sex, and better physical conditioning.*
- For women, maintaining hormonal balance is just as important in promoting health as it is in men. DIM actively promotes a desirable estrogen metabolism that produces more of the beneficial estrogen metabolites (2-hydroxy estrogens).*
Milk Thistle Seed Extract (80% silymarin): To protect and heal the liver, and to promote phase I and phase II liver detoxification.
- Silymarin, the active compound found in the seeds of the herb milk thistle, is the powerhouse for the liver. It both protects the liver from damage (even acute poisoning) and it may help rebuild diseased liver tissue and cells.* There are over 120 published studies listed in PubMed on the effects of milk thistle on the liver. Clinicians use milk thistle to completely reverse cirrhosis of the liver in 6 months.
- Silymarin supports both Phase I and Phase II detoxification in the liver.* Because hormones are processed by the liver, protecting and supporting the liver during an estrogen detoxification protocol is paramount. A common cause of estrogen toxicity in men and women may be a diseased or a congested liver.* If the liver cannot safely detoxify hormones, including estrogen, and other toxins, it processes them to be stored in adipose (fat) tissue.*
Chamomile extract (1% apigenin): To protect the body from stored and released estrogens.
- Apigenin is the secret agent of Peak Performance Estrogen Detox, hiding out in the shadows, performing a multitude of tasks, and ensuring everything runs smoothly. Apigenin (5,7-dyhydroxy flavones) is an extract isolated from chamomile flowers and is a potent estrogen metabolizing compound.*
- We have included apigenin in Peak Performance Estrogen Detox formula for several reasons. Firstly, because of its ability to bind to estrogen receptors in the body.* When estrogen is released by the actions of other ingredients in the formula (most notable DIM), apigenin then acts like a guard in-front of the estrogen receptors so that the released compounds do not immediately re-bind to the receptors.*
- Secondly, we have included apigenin in Peak Performance Estrogen Detox because it has shown anti-aromatase actions.* As an aromatase inhibitor, apigenin may protect the conversion of testosterone to estrogen and help to prevent the formation of estrogen and/or further block estrogen receptors.*
- Thirdly, we have included apigenin for the promising research done on apignin and anti-cancer effects against breast and cervical cancers.* In clinical studies, apigenin has been shown to have high selectivity in inducing selective apoptosis (cell death) of cancer cells in vivo.* Apigenin may help reduce oxidative stress, induce cell cycle inhibition, increase hepatic detoxification, and act as anti-inflammatory.*
- Combined with trans-resveratrol, in research studies, apigenine has been shown to antagonize and destroy estrogen related cancer.*
- One study from The Ohio State University (OSH) has shown apigenin to turn off the immortality genes in breast cancer cells, allowing the breast cancer cells to die out.* Speaking to the wide reaching health promoting effects of apigenin, researchers at OSU stated, “The nutrient is targeting many players, and by doing that, you get an overall synergy of the effect.” Furthermore, they hypothesize that apigenin is the missing factor “in the Mediterranean Diet that makes cancer cells ‘mortal.'”
- With the many actions of apigenin, you can see how it is our secret agent and a vitally important ingredient in our Peak Performance Estrogen Detox formula.
Sulforaphane (from Brassica oleracea italica): Supports estrogen detoxification and metabolism
- Like DIM, Sulforaphane is a naturally occurring extract from cruciferous vegetables (exclusively broccoli). Sulforaphane is a potent inducer of phase II liver detoxification enzymes.* The phase II detoxification enzymes are responsible for helping to eliminate harmful toxins and carcinogens from the body.* These powerful enzymes safely metabolize released estrogen during detoxification.* As seen with Sylimarin, sulforaphane assists the released estrogen hormones to be eliminated from the body.*
- Sulforaphane has been shown in the laboratory to inhibit the proliferation of breast cancer cells and to reduce their expression of the estrogen receptor.* Additionally, research has shown that sulforaphane acts directly to inhibit cancer cell growth and to initiate apoptosis (cell death) of cancer cells through a variety of mechanisms.*